Cyberattacks are becoming increasingly sophisticated and costly, and businesses of all sizes need to take steps to protect themselves. One of the best ways to do this is to implement a cybersecurity framework.
A cybersecurity framework is a set of guidelines and best practices widely accepted as the best ways to help businesses to identify, assess, mitigate, and manage their cyber risks.
Some Popular Frameworks
Many different cybersecurity frameworks are available, but some of the most popular ones include the NIST Cybersecurity Framework (NIST CSF), the ISO/IEC 27001, and the CIS Critical Security Controls (CIS CSC).
The NIST CSF is a framework developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). It is a risk-based framework that helps businesses to identify, assess, and prioritize their cyber risks. The NIST CSF has five functions:
- Identify: Identify the assets that need to be protected and the threats and vulnerabilities that could impact those assets.
- Protect: Implement controls to protect assets from threats and vulnerabilities.
- Detect: Detect and respond to security incidents.
- Respond: Respond to security incidents in a way that minimizes damage.
- Recover: Recover from security incidents and resume normal operations.
The ISO/IEC 27001 is an international standard for information security management. It provides a comprehensive set of requirements for managing information security risks. The ISO/IEC 27001 is a more comprehensive framework than the NIST CSF but can be more challenging to implement.
The CIS CSC is a set of 153 controls designed to protect critical systems and data. The CIS CSC is a good option for businesses looking for a faster and easier way to improve their cybersecurity posture. It is also the one Sagacent recommends most often.
The Benefits of Using a Cybersecurity Framework
The benefits of using a cybersecurity framework are many and varied. They may depend on who you do business with, where you do business, the industry you work in, and how those factors affect your vulnerability to hackers. Here are some of the most common benefits:
- Helps to identify and prioritize cyber risks
- Provides guidance on how to implement security controls
- Improves communication and collaboration between different departments
- Helps to demonstrate compliance with regulations
- Reduces the likelihood and impact of cyberattacks
- Establishes the specific objectives and actions a business will implement to mitigate risks
Use Frameworks Correctly
No matter which cybersecurity framework your business chooses, implementing it correctly, plus continuously monitoring and improving it, is essential. By thoroughly implementing a cybersecurity framework, your company can reduce your cyber risks and protect your assets from attack.
For this reason, Sagacent Technologies always manages our clients according to the most appropriate cybersecurity framework for their business.
If you are a business owner or IT professional, we urge you to consider implementing a cybersecurity framework. It is one of the best ways to protect your organization from cyberattacks.
Protect Your Business
Contact Sagacent to find out which framework is right for your business. Then see how we can help you implement, monitor, and improve it. It is one of the best ways to protect your organization from cyberattacks.